LAHIDAN Student FNCE® Scholarship
Application Deadline: April 30, 2021 - EXTENDED TO MAY 16th
Purpose: To enable FOUR (4) LAHIDAN undergraduate/graduate student members in the field of Dietetics/Nutrition or a Dietetic Intern to attend the VIRTUAL Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo™ (FNCE®). The goal of the scholarship is to foster the mentoring of future nutrition leaders.
Award: The scholarship recipients will receive $200 USD and will be recognized during the LAHIDAN virtual member networking event held during or near the dates of FNCE®. The recipients of the award are required to submit an article for the LAHIDAN newsletter in collaboration with the editor, within 30 days after attending FNCE®. Payment by check of monetary award will be mailed to the recipients upon receipt of their newsletter article.
Eligibility: All active LAHIDAN student members are eligible. Current members of the Nominating/Awards Committee and the LAHIDAN Executive Committee are not eligible for the award.
Selection Criteria: The Nominating Committee will select the best candidate based on the following:
1. The application is typed and submitted electronically by April 30, 2021. EXTENDED TO MAY 16th
2. The applicant may be asked to volunteer as needed during the DPG/MIG Showcase or virtual member networking event as specified by a LAHIDAN Executive Committee member, up to 4 hours of volunteer time. FNCE® will be held virtually October 16-19, 2021.
3. The applicant provides a verification of college/internship attendance (by having program director sign their application form) and current or last GPA (in the case of those enrolled in an internship).
a. The applicant provides his/her resume.
4. The applicant provides a personal statement (max. 2 pages, double spaced) which:
a. Describes his/her career goals
b. Specifies how the attendance to FNCE® will assist in developing these goals
c. Describes his/her interest in the field of Nutrition
d. Specifies ability and willingness to volunteer during FNCE® at LAHIDAN events
5. The applicant provides one letter of recommendation from a professor, program director or preceptor/tutor. The professor, program director or preceptor/tutor should be qualified to give pertinent information about the candidate regarding his/her ability, potential, professional qualifications and school or volunteer work experience.
Application Process and Entry Deadline: Application for the LAHIDAN FNCE® student scholarship must be submitted electronically to Nominating Chair at LAHIDAN@eatright.org by April 30 - EXTENDED TO MAY 16th. The LAHIDAN Nominating Chair will notify applicants of the results via email by May 31, 2021. Incomplete applications will be disqualified. A complete nomination application package will include the following:
3. Personal statement explaining how he/she meets the selection criteria as indicated above (including a brief description of financial situation or special circumstances as applicable)
4. Professor, program director or preceptor/tutor letter of recommendation
Scholarship Recipient’s Duties:
- Recipient must attend Virtual FNCE® 2021 and be available to provide 4 hours of volunteer time during any LAHIDAN function during FNCE® (such as assist at the LAHIDAN exhibit booth during the DPG/MIG Showcase, or assist at the LAHIDAN member networking event).
- Recipient must write a one-page, double-spaced summary of a FNCE® session attended, including how they might apply this information in their training/career. It must be suitable for printing in LAHIDAN’s Adelante newsletter.