The Latinos and Hispanics in Dietetics and Nutrition (LAHIDAN) has served members since 1995 as a networking group. On May 16, 2007, LAHIDAN became the first Member Interest Group (MIG) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Empowering members to be the nation's food and nutrition leaders for Latinos and Hispanics.
Optimizing the health of Latinos and Hispanics through food and Nutrition.
The purpose of this MIG shall be to support member needs while fostering the development and improvement of food, nutrition and health care for Latinos and Hispanics and their families in the United States and related territories, with outreach to Hispanic and Latino international members.
- To lead in the planning, implementation and evaluation of food, nutrition and health service delivery to Latino communities
- To promote professional practice, research and educational advancement
- To promote cultural competency of LAHIDAN
- To strengthen the influence of the MIG on professional organizations, policy makers, government and other identified entities through coordinated action
- To highlight the contributions of member dietetic practitioners with significant contributions to the Association and profession
- To support leadership development and promote member service utilization
- To identify, mentor and support promising future Latino/Hispanic dietetic practitioners
- To maintain a resource directory of LAHIDAN dietetic practitioners and those interested in supporting the MIG