Christy Wilson, BS, RDN
Servings: ½ cup serving size; serves 4 people
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, diced
1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups carrots (3-4 large), grated
1 cup jicama, grated
2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
<>2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped/torn
Salt and pepper, if desired
- In a small, non-stick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add shallot and cook until softened.
- Add fennel seed and cumin to the skillet and cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- In a medium bowl, add shredded carrots, jicama, lime juice and shallot mixture. Toss until colors and flavors meld together.
- Add salt and pepper, if desired (I didn't add any it is tasted fantastic!). Garnish with cilantro or mint leaves for added color and flavor.
Nutrition Information per serving:
Calories: 50; Total fat: 2.5g, Saturated fat: 0g, Sodium: 30mg; Total carbohydrates: 7g, Dietary fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 1g; Vitamin A: 60% DV, Vitamin C: 20% DV